Wednesday, April 1, 2009

And they say Israelis have poor manners?!?

I'm trying to observe as much as possible about the people here. I find this culture so interesting! The customs are so different than what I'm accustomed to at home.
My groupmate, Erica, and I were talking about the stereotype that Israelis are pissed off a lot. We decided we think that, unlike Americans, Israelis have learned to not sweat the small stuff. When you're walking through the shuk or just down the street, everyone just strolls slowly. There's never a rush, and it's not a big deal to be late. Americans rush through every single day, we are always planning the future, and not appreciating the present. Even with the lack of organization in our program thus far i.e. internet not working, our coordinator, Tomer, keeps telling us to be patient....eventually everything will come together. This is going to be a really great learning experience for me since I am the girl who cries when I get a flat tire even though I know AAA can come fix it in 30 minutes.
Now don't get me wrong....I'd still say I wouldn't want to piss off an Israeli. If you don't follow through with something you promised, there will be consequences! They concentrate on the problems that REALLY matter.
I've also learned that Israelis express their hospitality beyond means I've ever known! Today I had an interview for my potential internship here at Orna Porat. The man I interviewed with introduced me to their Marketing Director and after 30 seconds, she invited me to Pesach (Passover) with her and the rest of the company!
Her: "How long are you in Israel for?"
Me: "My program is 5 months, and then...who knows?"
Her: "So we just need to find you a jewish husband then, and you can stay!"
Me: "That's my parents' worst nightmare!!!"
Her: "Well, ok...if you want, you are more than welcome to come spend Pesach with all of us!"
Me: "REALLY??? Wow!! Thank you!"

Orna Porat Theater for Children and Youth is the best source for children ages 4-17 theatrical performances and education. Next year they will be celebrating 40 years, which is a huge deal! I found them by googling Tel Aviv theatre, and Tomer was able to get me an interview for today. I find their mission statement to be almost identical to my own personal career dreams:
"...to lead the tidings of the theater art to all the children in Israel intending to impart them aesthetic-artistic values as well as humane, national and universal values through their encounter with the artistic creation."
After finding out about their company, and explaining my own experiences in theatre and education, I've basically been told exactly what I expected to hear. They are very eager to receive me as an intern and help in any way possible, just not sure how due to my language barrier. (All of their performances are in Hebrew) But, they were optimistic that they can fit me in somewhere, though most likely not in a creative setting. I might be able to assist in translating their website to English, providing a synopsis for each play, etc. They will hopefully have me help their fundraising department by appealing to investors abroad to help bring performances to cities that have recently been attacked by terrorism. The only thing I can possibly do for their creative department is help paint sets/props, or something like that. I'm so open to helping this company, that I don't even care what they have me do!!!
But, really, I should start at the beginning of my day....because so far, it's been extremely positive. For the first time ever, I actually showered, did my hair, and put makeup on before Ulpan because I knew I had an interview after. Leah and I walked to Aroma (Israel's equivalent to Starbucks with better food) to get coffee. We took a more scenic route to school along the beach, and felt much more alive in class. After my interview, I went to buy groceries at the shuk. I stopped at one seller with pretty much everything I wanted, and stocked up. While waiting to pay, a woman asked me if she could go first because she only had 2 artichokes, and I agreed. After I was able to pay...and now I can actually understand the amount in Hebrew, the seller gestured to my bag...He had put in a bunch of 9 bananas for free! "Todah Rabah!!!" I was sooo excited! I'm not sure if he did this because I allowed the woman to cut me, or if he was just flirting, but either way....Now I have bananas for my Cheerios! Leaving with a huge bag of fresh veggies, salad, and fruit, I only spent 50 shekels (which is about 12 dollars!) Thank you, Shuk!

Hebrew phrases for today's post:
Bet-sefer: school
Meespar ha'telephone: telephone number
Mesiba: party
Misandah: restaurant
Ani ochelet betzim ve perot le aroochat-boker: I am eating eggs and fruit for breakfast
Ha'yom ani holechet meha bet-sefer la peegeesha baregal: Today, I am going from the school to a meeting by foot
Ani sho-elet et Leah, "yesh maim po?" : I am asking Leah, "Is there water here?"
Ani osah kef: I am having fun

1 comment:

  1. hi ninsey- love the updates and miss you terribly. don't stay in israel bc liam wants to grow up with his aunt!! jk, follow your dreams and don't worry about us, we'll be fine. remember, i moved 3000 miles away from philly and met your sister...great things happen when you take chances in life!! I'll email you some pics and a youtube link- tim

    ReplyDelete