
Shabbat Shalom! Finishing up my first weekend in Tel Aviv (the work week starts on Sunday here) and I had such a great time! I keep saying “I can’t believe I live here,” because it’s just so surreal. Walking around the promenade feels like I’m dreaming or on vacation, which I guess I am since I haven’t started working, but still….I LIVE HERE!
Thursday night, we had a meeting with Momo so he could give us his “Welcome Home” schpeal…which is basically encouragement to live in Israel, marry a Jew, and make Jewish babies! So funny, but totally what I expected. As cheesy as the stories may be, they are still inspiring. We also got to meet the January group of interns, get their advice based on their experience thus far, and just hang out and eat dinner. It’s crazy that a large chunk of participants are from California…I guess that just shows how many Jews live there. That night we went out all together because it was one of the girls’ birthdays, and it was fun getting to mingle together!
On Friday, I went back to the shuk, but it was PACKED! Everyone stocks up before Shabbat, so it was super crowded, and the people just push their way around…definitely no time to take a lot of pictures without being yelled at. Leetal and I ate at this little café called Loveat (Love Eat) outside. All of the food has been AMAZING! I had this great sandwich with eggplant, spinach, and tomatoes with tahina (this sesame spread kind of stuff) and a little side salad. So yummy! Most places have separate menus with English, but I still feel stupid when I order. Usually, I’m only saying b’vakasha, todah, and slicha in Hebrew to the people because I’m not comfortable yet. Baby steps! Friday night we had a little family Shabbat dinner at a restaurant in Yafo. You get these mixtures of 15 different little salads and it’s all unlimited, plus whatever kabob you feel like ordering. They did have some scary items though...like beef testicles. Ew. I personally liked these spicy carrots, this eggplant with red sauce, and tabouli salads. Then everyone just came back to the Real World house, and chilled together in Apartment 5.
Thursday night, we had a meeting with Momo so he could give us his “Welcome Home” schpeal…which is basically encouragement to live in Israel, marry a Jew, and make Jewish babies! So funny, but totally what I expected. As cheesy as the stories may be, they are still inspiring. We also got to meet the January group of interns, get their advice based on their experience thus far, and just hang out and eat dinner. It’s crazy that a large chunk of participants are from California…I guess that just shows how many Jews live there. That night we went out all together because it was one of the girls’ birthdays, and it was fun getting to mingle together!
On Friday, I went back to the shuk, but it was PACKED! Everyone stocks up before Shabbat, so it was super crowded, and the people just push their way around…definitely no time to take a lot of pictures without being yelled at. Leetal and I ate at this little café called Loveat (Love Eat) outside. All of the food has been AMAZING! I had this great sandwich with eggplant, spinach, and tomatoes with tahina (this sesame spread kind of stuff) and a little side salad. So yummy! Most places have separate menus with English, but I still feel stupid when I order. Usually, I’m only saying b’vakasha, todah, and slicha in Hebrew to the people because I’m not comfortable yet. Baby steps! Friday night we had a little family Shabbat dinner at a restaurant in Yafo. You get these mixtures of 15 different little salads and it’s all unlimited, plus whatever kabob you feel like ordering. They did have some scary items though...like beef testicles. Ew. I personally liked these spicy carrots, this eggplant with red sauce, and tabouli salads. Then everyone just came back to the Real World house, and chilled together in Apartment 5.
Saturday would be so unusual for everyone back home. Saturdays are normally spent running as many errands as possible back in the states, but here it’s the most peaceful time ever. I would compare it somewhat to Christmas Eve in Newport. Most stores and some restaurants are closed for Shabbat, and everyone’s just relaxing with each other. We took a walk down to the beach (5 minutes from our house) so we could take some pictures. Stupid me charged my camera last night and forgot to put the battery back in, so I’ll have to give you some literal descriptions of the atmosphere. I was in heaven. Tons of beach cafes with chairs IN the sand...and you can just sit and hang out as long as you want. The dogs are all out with their owners, and most don’t even wear leashes. They just follow alongside their family. I miss Ollie, and really wish he could be here with me. He’d be in heaven, too! On Saturday, the promenade has an area with Israeli dancing. You can bet I’ll be there soon! I met this girl on Thursday who teaches African Dance, and I’m going to try to get hooked up with lots of other dance classes, too. If you’ve never seen it, Israeli dancing appears like line dancing, only more fluid…like salsa? All middle-eastern dance is so fun…I can’t wait to join in! Right next to the dancing you can find men playing paddle ball (matkot) in little tights shorts…amazing!! It’s very windy here right now, so the waves were huge and unruly, but still beautiful. The smell of the beach reminds me of home…but here you can drink, smoke hookah, and lounge under cabanas! On our way back there were people feeding this group of pigeons, and one man even had them eating while sitting on his hands. That would NOT happen back home. Tonight, I’m going to take it easy since I have Ulpan in the morning, and hopefully a meeting with the coordinator about my future internship. The January group advised me to research one myself online, so I found a few that are theatre-related to show him.
Hope you’re all having a great weekend!
Hebrew phases for today’s post:
Ima: Mom
Aba: Dad
Ach: Brother
Achot: Sister
Dod: Uncle
Dodah: Aunt
Ani medaberet kitzat eevreet: I speak a little bit of Hebrew
Ani chadasha beh Tel Aviv: I’m new to Tel Aviv
Hope you’re all having a great weekend!
Hebrew phases for today’s post:
Ima: Mom
Aba: Dad
Ach: Brother
Achot: Sister
Dod: Uncle
Dodah: Aunt
Ani medaberet kitzat eevreet: I speak a little bit of Hebrew
Ani chadasha beh Tel Aviv: I’m new to Tel Aviv
No comments:
Post a Comment