...your flight makes you crazy!
So when you fly El Al, you have a sort of security interview first. When I finally got to the front of the line, they made me wait a bit because I'm Amercian...go figure. Every time you have to do this "interview," it feels like you're lying even though you're completely telling the truth! And it doesn't make the trip seem easier when the interviewer gives you the "you're crazy" look when she finds out you don't speak Hebrew.
I met someone at the gate who was in my program. His name is Mike, and he went to USC...as is apparent by his USC slippers....ya he's THAT guy. But he was nice, until I lost him on the shuttle to our plane and didn't see him again til the baggage claim in Tel Aviv. My flight was...interesting. I was sitting next to a couple from El Segundo who were going on a Jesusland trip to Israel...Ok ok it wasn't called Jesusland, but they had nametags with a crucifix on it and I think that's pretty close. They kept asking me questions I didn't know the answers to, but were very nice plane neighbors.
Before we could even take off, I noticed police cars following us on the tar-mats, and I knew something was up. Yup. Security stall. The staff told us we should stay seated, but I figured I should go try to find Mike and make friends. After all, he's the only person I know in Israel so far. I searched up and down the aisles, but couldn't seem to find him. Later I found out he was completely unaware of the delay; he'd taken sleeping pills and passed out the moment he sat down. Ok, but why couldn't I find him? He was sitting in first class. I most definitely did not check there. Oh boy... Anyway, our flight was THREE HOURS late due to a security problem (who knows what) and in total my flight was almost 18 hours long! Better safe than sorry, I arrived in Tel Aviv at 5:00pm their time, and met my Oranim Rep totally fine. There are 9 people in my specific internship program, so we're kind of like Real World: Tel Aviv! Half of us do not speak Hebrew, but 4 are fluent and will be helping everyone out I'm sure. We're staying in brand new apartments near the beach, which are going to be fun...but also difficult to get used to because we aren't with the 20 other people who got here in January. My roommate doesn't arrive until tomorrow, so tonight I'm on my own! Updates to come on all the participants..we're trying to get to know each other as quickly as possible!
Tomorrow's plan is to unpack, explore, and go to the shuk (marketplace) to get some groceries! We have phone interviews, but nothing scheduled for us until Wednesday. Hope everyone had a great weekend, and I love you all very much! Pictures to come!
Hebrew phases for today's post:
Shalom: Hello, Goodbye, and Peace
B'vakasha: Please
Todah Rabah: Thank you
Slicha: Excuse me
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
ninsey! casey and i just checked into merfinisrael and it is so nice to hear that you arrived safe and sound. casey is feeding liam as we type this and liam is humming niiiinnnnnnssssseeeeeeeyyyyyyy very slowly between toots. we love you so much...keep on blogging!
ReplyDeleteI'm the "token blonde's" mom and love reading your blog. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. It's wonderful for those of us back home.
ReplyDelete