The buses are empty at 7am (no one's heading to work) and the cafes are packed during any hour of the regular 9-5 (no one's working)!
No matter who you are, you give your seat on the bus to an older woman...if you don't she'll probably force you to.
Parents here are NOT germaphobic like in the states: At the park, I didn't see one mother reach for purell or baby wipes. In fact, I saw a baby crawling all over the dirty ground without anyone minding.
The poopy-butt pants: A trend for young girls and women is to wear these yoga pants with a crotch that hangs to their ankles, resembling someone who pooped their pants. This is fashion?!?It doesn't look remotely cute on anyone!
You can't seem to get ice in your tap water in any restaurant, but Israelis turn every drink into slushies of a variety of flavors!
Someone meets you, and in 30 seconds, they've invited you to Shabbat Dinner!
Dogs in bars: Yes, I've mentioned dogs go everywhere here...but the funniest is at the bars. You're sipping a cocktail, and there's a dog sitting next to you on the couch!
You can tell what fruits/veggies are in season the moment you start walking down the shuk.
When I ACTUALLY understand the neighborhoods I'm in, can give directions, or can maneuver myself correctly.
Why, even with a converter, my hair straightener died after 2 months here...and my computer won't keep charging if you unplug it unless it's rebooted. Stupid voltage!
The hilarity of Israelis writing in English...People also walk around with English tshirts and I always wonder if they know what it says. Example: a grandma wearing a shirt saying "I see you've already met the twins."
The Israeli love for pizza and sushi. Just seems odd still.
How FORWARD Israeli men are...my 60-something year old cabby even thought he had a chance because he's a "good person."
The heat: I used to think the Valley was bad. I sweat the moment I step outside here. Why even shower before work?
And lastly (for now), I will never understand why Israelis question why I'd want to live here and volunteer without getting paid when I could be "making money" and living in the states. For such patriotic place, they really don't GET how wonderful it is to be here, and be surrounded by Hebrew and Jews! I love Israel, quirks and all!
Hebrew phrases for today's post:
Meh'oochar: late
Mookdam: early
Mishu: someone
Mashu: something
B'ezo sha'ah at kamah?: At what hour do you wake up?
My favorite is "You can't seem to get ice in your tap water in any restaurant, but Israelis turn every drink into slushies of a variety of flavors!" :-)
ReplyDelete