I said it in the beginning, and I'll say it again...I can't believe I live here! Every day just keeps getting better, each trip more eye-opening, and I feel as though I learn something new about myself at least once a day. Maybe it's because I'm around a whole new group of people, or because I've been thrown into scenarios which are completely and literally foreign to me, but I am feeling very aware of myself and the qualities in myself which I like AND those I'd like to adjust a bit. It's pretty exciting...ahhh growing up :)
We went on a trip to Golan Heights (Northern Israel) on Wed/Thurs of this week, and I brought my positive chi with me because it was a serious hiking trip! The email explained that we'd be hiking Nahal Gilaboon down from the Golan, going through abandoned villages and old Syrian Army emplacements, and waterfalls on the first day. The second day, we were to be prepared to hike IN water! We were going to hike the Bannias- one of the sources of the Jordan River...and it was imperative that we wear water shoes...which I didn't have....hmm. I figured that, like all our trips, it was an exaggeration, so I could get away with wearing flip flops in the water when needed.
I woke up way earlier than should be allowed for me, but lately Leetal and I have a ritual of blasting MGMT songs in order to get our butts in gear, so it wasn't TOO bad. Another long bus ride including a screening of TWILIGHT on my ipod, and we were in Northern Israel. The first day's hike was a bit scary for me....What I already knew is that I'm not afraid of heights, but definitely afraid of falling. I'm also not good at figuring out my footing on a hike. But what I learned, is that I don't complain, because I just kept going with a smile on my face...even though I ate dirt a few times. Note to self: my Pumas are NOT meant for hiking. Must buy shoes with traction. A funny part of the hike was that Michael from my group, decided to bring along a HUGE watermelon for the lunch we ate halfway through the 4-5 hour hike. Our tour guide, Yariv, told him it was the stupidest idea ever, but he did it anyway! While I definitely needed both hands to hike, the watermelon (which we named Nachum) survived somehow and provided a great snack while we all ate sitting next to a gorgeous waterfall. I still find waterfalls in Israel to be quite amazing. Normally, you wouldn't think anything of it, but in Israel, it's truely a miracle: a waterfall in the middle of a desert.
Another crazy part of the hike was just our general location. The Golan Heights are filled with old mine fields, so it was crucial we did not wander off Yariv's path. During parts of the hike, I'd go to grab onto the fence next to me, and then realized it was barbed wire. And on either side of the fence you could see fields of flowers and ruins from civilian and military housing....all of this beauty behind a fence with a yellow sign saying "Danger of Death!" All of a sudden you remember exactly where you are.
The next day's hike turned out to be a lot more intense than any of us had expected. Yariv told us there was NO way to wear flip flops, clogs, or water shoes that didn't fit tightly because we were actually to be hiking in a river that could go all the way up to our chests, and the current is too strong to wear shoes that easily fall off. Hmmm...I ended up wearing my tennis shoes (since I didn't have a choice). It's only water, right? As we approached the water, and I saw that it was seriously a flowing river, I started to get anxious. Then he asked if everyone can swim, and I got MORE freaked out. With a nervous laugh, Leetal and I held hands and entered the chilly river. Once I was in...I suddenly lost all fear; I was only excited! Even though there were parts where I felt like I was being sucked into the current, and it was definitely cold, it was such an amazing experience. Who hikes through a river?? One of the really tall and strong guys on our trip, Joel, helped practically all of the people around me get through the challenging parts. At one point he told me to go slowly because of branches under the water, and then BOOM...one of my legs slipped down into the middle of two branches! That was the first time I went down that day! It started to get really funny to me though...wading through some parts up to my thighs, then SWIMMING through other parts. (An inner tube would have been amazing.) The current was so strong at parts that Yael, the city coordinator for the Ramla group, laid on her back and let it carry her down the river....which was funny because she is the oldest person around us (probably in her forties). She's such a cool lady...taking risks, and teaching me how to make flowers wreaths for my hair. I love her!
At the end of the hike, soaking wet, we changed into dry clothes in the middle of a field of red grapefruit trees! I picked up one that had fallen to the ground, opened it up and it was delicious!! I'm not even usually a fan of grapefruit, but it hit the spot after a 3-4 hour hike! On the busride home, all of us (stinky and exhausted) passed out most of the way. I was really happy to be home, but so very thankful for the experience. What a truly unique trip! All the fresh air definitely made me happy...walking the streets of Tel Aviv that evening, the difference in air quality was very apparent.
When I got home, I was starving!!! All I wanted in the world was a huge schwarma and chips (french fries)! I walked to this place nearby that always looks good, and tried it out. The guy was soooo sweet, and tried to help me with my hebrew. He kept making fun of my American accent saying "lo lo lo!" In the end, he gave me free extra chips and falafel. After such an immense workout over those two days, I ruined it completely by DEVOURING: my entire schwarma (almost Chipotle-size), a side of tabouli salad and pickled cabbage...oh, and did I mention all of my chips and falafel on the way home? Yup. That's a sign that I worked my butt off!!! What a great reward for challenging myself the two days prior!
Lehitraot! (See ya later!)
Hebrew phrases for today's post:
Mehamem: breath-taking
Lefamim: sometimes
Beechlal lo: not at all
Maspeek: enough
Ani sme'cha hachi b'yisreal: I am happiest in Israel
B'sof shavuah yeshli harbe z'man: On the weekends, I have a LOT of time
Friday, May 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment