
Holidays...Holidays...Holidays! Every post is another holiday! But, unlike my feelings for American holidays, it appears that Israelis have much more pride for theirs....Did you all know that this Tuesday and Wednesday was Memorial Day for the Fallen Soldiers and quickly followed by Israeli Independence Day?? Let's do a little compare and contrast exercise of my experiences with these holidays in both places:On Memorial Day in the USA...
...I'm excited there's no school or work
...I might go to the mall bright and early for sales
...someone's going to bbq because that's what you do
...an American flag might show up on my lawn
On Yom Ha'zikaron in Israel:
...I got to witness a moving ceremony at the Naval Base in Haifa with beautiful songs (in Hebrew) and speeches
...I stood outside my office building and watched as the town came COMPLETELY to a halt at 11am
...I paused for the 2 minutes when sirens blasted throughout the city, to honor those we've lost and even cars stopped, people stood still, and no cell phones were attached to Israeli ears
...I paused for the 2 minutes when sirens blasted throughout the city, to honor those we've lost and even cars stopped, people stood still, and no cell phones were attached to Israeli ears
...we waited until the sun went down to start celebrating out of respect
On Fourth of July...
...Newport Beach shuts down the streets for the biggest block party you've ever seen
...Newport Beach shuts down the streets for the biggest block party you've ever seen
...the police and I had a little chat that I was responsible for anyone drinking on my property, and that fines were triple their normal amount on this day
...I ate Hebrew National hot dogs
..the streets were filled with red, white, and blue decorations
..the streets were filled with red, white, and blue decorations
...people watched fireworks from the pier
On Yom Ha'atzmaut...
...everyone you pass wishes you a Chag Sameach!
...Leetal, Gabe, and I welcomed in the holiday by watching the sunset on our roof
...the air is filled with the smell of bbq, from those grilling on the Tayelet (Boardwalk)
...the air is filled with the smell of bbq, from those grilling on the Tayelet (Boardwalk)
...the police had a little talk with us about not being able to bbq or have a bonfire on the beach
...Israeli flags are EVERYWHERE
...Israeli flags are EVERYWHERE
...I ate chicken hot dogs instead of Hebrew National
...you can truly feel how much pride and devotion Israelis have for their state
...the boys build a monster of a bonfire on the beach at night
I had a great week of holidays, and now I'm enjoying Shabbat on the beach. I get to work from a cafe tomorrow, which is pretty exciting, so all in all....LIFE IS GOOD
Miss and love you all!
Hebrew phrases for today's post:
Betem gav: sunbathing (literally means stomach/back)
Crem neged shemesh: sunscreen
Sh'chenim: neighbors
Ma at rotzah la-asot hayom?: What do you want to do today?
Ani mesaperet seepurim al chagim b'yisrael la'chem: I tell stories about holidays in Israel to you
Ani mesaperet seepurim al chagim b'yisrael la'chem: I tell stories about holidays in Israel to you
No comments:
Post a Comment