I've been avoiding this.
My farewell post. And I know why...
I can't believe it's over. I feel like time has passed so quickly, and yet, wow, I've been gone for so long. My life will never be the same. What did I do in 2009? I quit my job of almost two years. I gave up my cushy Newport apartment on the beach, my independence (personal and financial), my dog, and the convenience of living in a world where my family was just a short drive away. I said goodbye to my parents, my sister and her 1 month old baby, my friends from home, and my friends at Mama D's and in Newport. I hoped everything would stay the same between us despite the changes that would knowingly occur within me, but that's not always the case. While I was away, friends grew with pregnant bellies, my freshman year roommate got married, countless friends became engaged or moved in with significant others, and my lil sis (from Tri Delta) graduated college. So many milestones...With my family in Israel as I departed, I almost forgot I had to leave. Being able to provide my Dad, Betty, Lizette, and Melissa with their first Israeli experience was incredible. Thanks to my connections with Oranim, we had our own family mini-Birthright experience...with a cameo by Jesus! When planning the four day journey around Israel's greatest cities with the staff at Oranim, there were some very specific requests. I knew I wanted to take them to Jerusalem, Haifa, and the Dead Sea (without the crazy hiking I always had to endure!) We created an extremely full itinerary going straight from the airport in Tel Aviv to Jerusalem... from all over Jerusalem's Jewish, Christian, and Catholic historical sights to Masada and the Dead Sea... from the Dead Sea all the way through the Golan heights to the northern Kabbalistic city of Tzfat... from the Golan all the way across Israel to the coastal plains of Rosh Hanikra, Akko, Haifa's Bahai Gardens... and finally to my home away from home for the rest of the week, Tel Aviv! Just looking at it makes me tired. Our tour guide, Yossi, must have been exhausted after! I can't believe how much they got to see in such a short time, and there were even a few places I'd never been! What an amazing experience! I'm also glad I got to take everyone around in my 'hood. We went to some of my favorite restaurants, walked the beautiful beaches, through the shuk, and the girls and I went shopping on Sheinkin like good little California girls!
After spending two weeks travelling in Europe and one more travelling Israel with my family, it was almost as if my time ended before all of that. Perhaps on my last day of work at Oranim. Maybe my goodbyes felt so strange because I kept returning! In fact, I said goodbye to Yoni, one of the closest friends I made in Israel, THREE times! It was all such a whirlwind before the end!
Of course I need ONE last crazy Israeli story before making it home to Los Angeles: That darn El Al. They got me again! Since I booked my ticket home at a different time, I flew separately from the rest of my family. So we parted ways at the security checkpoint as I made my way through the crazyness of the El Al interview. But this time..I'm a pro, right? I can speak some Hebrew, I've been living here for 7 1/2 months, I'm good! Nope. They singled me out for an extensive check of my luggage. Can you believe they made me go through my seven month's worth of luggage on a table, and expected me to know where everything was?? At one point, the worker found a potential threat...my Israel Phones charger. Twenty minutes later, she decided it wasn't a bomb. Gee thanks. What a way to go out! But it's not all sadness and bad news. The end of my time in Israel meant I got to see everyone I left back in the states. Seeing my mom and sister at the airport waiting for me was such a wonderful feeling, and being reunited with my friends was absolutely amazing! I got to go back to Mama D's to see my favorite kitchen staff members, and be treated like a real guest by all the new employees who know nothing of my legacy! I FINALLY got my hair cut for the first time in seven months, and also got a pedicure to cure my Israeli foot syndrome. And don't get me started on the joys of Target!
From Israel, I take with me an unforgettable life experience. I have so many memories and stories, especially thanks to this blog, that I will be telling tales of Tel Aviv for the rest of my life. When people ask me how it was, I can only say, "It was amazing." There's too much to tell... too many words, but impossible to describe. Israel will always be in my heart. Every time I go back, I will cherish the memories of living on Yona Hanavi, and running around the city. I know I will have this connection to Israel for the rest of my life. Most importantly, I broke out of my shell and got closer to the adult version of myself. I feel different, but in a wonderful way. And finally, I take with me the close relationships I've made with friends who are now all over the United States, Canada, and Israel. I feel so fortunate to have met each and every one of them.
Tachless.... I love Israel.
Shalom, Jerusalem...
Shalom, Abu Ghosh Hummus...
Shalom, Dead Sea...
Shalom, Tzfat...
Shalom, Rosh Hanikra...
Shalom, Akko...
Shalom, Haifa and Bahai Gardens...
Shalom, Tel Aviv, my heart...





simply beutifuly put.
ReplyDelete