Thursday, July 9, 2009

Can't go wrong with kids and horses!

Yesterday was my second day volunteering at the Therapeutic Horse Riding Center in Ramat Gan. Getting there a little earlier made a big difference, and I was able to assist in many more lessons than last week. The instructors I work with, Gail and Ofri, cannot thank me enough for giving them my time. The lessons are practically impossible without someone there to assist the instructors, since the kids need a lot of attention and physical help. I’m always a little nervous with the language barrier and the fact I know very little about handling horses, but I love kids and teaching….so it’s lo mishaneh (no big deal).
The first couple lessons I helped with were younger kids, with disabilities I’m not sure of, other than simply having trouble focusing their attention for long periods of time. The lessons are thirty minutes long, and within that time, the kids get to exercise a lot with their horse. Around the arena are different colored signs with a number and the corresponding Hebrew letter next to it. The kids usually start the lesson by circling the arena and stopping the horse at a given number. It helps them practice learning colors and numbers and letters. They also receive therapy during this time, moving their hands to their hips, out in front, turning on the horse, etc. It’s really exciting for them! I help by bringing the horse out from its stall, getting the saddle set up for the kids, and guiding as they go around the arena. Trotting seems to be every kid’s favorite part of the lesson. Is anyone surprised that they like when the horse goes faster?? I didn’t think so. I hold onto their ankle to make sure they don’t fall off, and run alongside the horse as they do circles, trotting. Gail says I have to do that because I’m in better shape than her!
I especially love working with Ofri and her students. They are all so charming and wonderful, and she’s a GREAT teacher. One of her students, Omer, (it’s a popular name) is 14 with Autism, but he speaks very well. He kept asking me where I live, what transportation I took to Ramat Gan, and he giggled at my Hebrew. He is very smart, and knows EVERYONE at the center... quite the social butterfly! He asked me to play bowling with him: a game they play with plastic bottles filled with colored water for pins. We took turns throwing a soccer ball to knock down the pins, identifying which color to hit each time. Her last lesson of the day, Suri, is almost 21 years old. After flirting with me for half the lesson, he asked Ofri to tell me what happened to him. Four years ago, he was hit by a car while walking, leaving the right side of his brain damaged. He has limited control over the left side of his body, and struggles with language, as that part of your brain is on the right. He asked me what the word is, in English, for a boy who is really, really smart…a “nerd.” He said that’s what he was before the accident; he’d even been studying in university for two years prior, at the very young age of 16. But Ofri brought the mood back to positive, telling Suri that if the accident never happened, they wouldn’t be such friends! He told me it’s a shame I’m older than him, because he thinks I’m beautiful. What a gentleman!
I’m glad to have my schedule finalized to be there every Wednesday because I’ll get to know the kids and horses better and eventually feel comfortable in this new atmosphere. The best part of volunteer work is the feeling of satisfaction on the way home. I know I did a really great thing yesterday, and for that, I am thankful!




Hebrew phrases for today's post:
Ma pitom!: No way!
Ta'asu Chaim!: Have fun!
Meetnadvim: volunteers
Ani ayefah k'shay ani chozeret habaita: I'm tired when I get back home.
Ani ratzah m'makom l'makom kol ha zman!: I run from place to place all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment